Register Now for 2014-2015
Click HERE for a downloadable 2013-2014 School Year Calendar
45 Years of Service To Our Community
St. Mark's Montessori School is a non-profit organization which offers the community an excellent educational opportunity that is faithful to Christian principles and in accordance with the Montessori philosophy and principles.
Our mission is to offer a student the opportunity to benefit from our Montessori program, which strives to develop independence, leadership qualities and self discipline in each child, in an environment where he or she will build a solid foundation for all future learning.
Montessori Key Concepts
The Prepared Environment
- The environment is carefully designed to give children the optimum opportunity to be independent and successful. All furniture and materials are child-size which facilitates children to do things by themselves.
- Montessori materials are discovery based and "hands on." The materials are arranged sequentially.
- Children of 3-6 years are mixed together in the classrooms.
- The multi-age grouping encourages peer teaching among students.
- Mixed groups also help children to develop social skills and a higher degree of self esteem.
- Children are encouraged to be independent learners.
- Children are allowed to work at their own pace.
Uninterrupted Work Time/Daily Work Cycle
- In a Montessori Environment uninterrupted work time is important. It helps students to become engrossed in work, so that concentration can be nurtured.
- Uninterrupted work time also allows teachers to work with children individually and in small groups.
“The most important period of life is not the age of university studies, but the first one, the period from birth to the age of six. For that is the time when man’s intelligence itself, his greatest implement, is being formed. But not only his intelligence; the full totality of his psychic powers… At no other age has the child greater need of an intelligent help, and any obstacle that impedes his creative work will lessen the chance he has of achieving perfection.”
-Dr. Maria Montessori-
Send Us Your Comments or Questions